Monday, April 11, 2011

fabric market purchases!

I've been dreaming of the day I finally go to one of Shanghai's many fabric markets, pick out my fabric, and get a custom garment made for me. I finally went two Saturdays ago, and was able to pick up my coats one week later. I opted to go to the South Bund Fabric Market because I had heard that they have more choices, the prices are slightly better and the people are nicer than the Science and Technology Museum's fabric market.
So, pictures/designs in hand I went with my friends and another group of people in the NYU program (aka, a bunch of boys buying suits that don't know very much about fashion). All the boys were getting suits made, as they are all in the Stern School of Business. So, when necessary, I helped them choose fabric, designs and did a touch of translating. Once we were done with the suit place, it was my turn to pick and choose! Since I knew exactly what style I wanted, it was more a matter of choosing which fabric.
I wanted to get two cashmere winter coats made and I definitely wanted one of them to have a fur collar. I exhausted about three of the fabric sample books, so I had to go back and look more carefully. I didn't really like that my place only had the little swatches of fabric. It's really hard to gauge the color from a little square. Thankfully, the samples turned out to be misleading in a good way. I opted to get a dark grey coat with a black fur collar and (what I thought was) dusty pink coat with an oversize cocoon-esque collar. And I chose a jade lining for the grey coat.
The coats turned out great! The fabric is so much softer than the samples (from who knows how many years of people touching them) and the dusty pink turned out to be incredibly vibrant!
I'm incredibly pleased with my purchases, and I would highly, highly recommend getting clothes made for you. Suits are around 620rmb ($94.82) and dress shirts are about 120rmb ($18.35). My friend Gian got a three piece suit that I talked down to 775rmb ($118.53). Since my coats are a longer length and pure cashmere (vs. a wool cashmere blend) they were more expensive, but I bargained the two of them down to 1550rmb ($237). However, a wool peacoat should only be about 500rmb ($76.48)
The fur (which I got from a specialized fur vendor) is also [and surprisingly] real! For the fur collar on my jacket, because it is a bit larger than usual, I was able to get that for 350rmb ($53.53). I also purchased a brown fur scarf which was only 155rmb ($23.07).
ps. sorry the pictures are bad, and my internet is also being bad and won't let me upload the other pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment