Thursday, November 18, 2010

museums.

This semester for my art history class, we're required to go to museums every other week, which I love! But, I realized something this week while I was at the Met: I don't actually like being in a museum. Allow me to explain. First, I prefer to go to a museum by myself, that way I can spend as little or as much time in an exhibit. Also, because museums are institutions of high culture, I like to dress the part and project the image of a chic young woman. Obviously I enjoy the art, so what part of museums do I not like? It's the other people. Museums are tourist attractions (especially the Met) and they tend to be really, really crowded on Tuesdays (which is when I go to museums) because who else has time to go to a museum on a Tuesday afternoon? Tourists! that's who. I realize this is a hypocritical complaint, because I go to museums when I'm a tourist, but it really hit me at the Met because there were SO many people.
On a sidenote: I actually got lost in the Met the other day. I saw the John Baldessari exhibit which is what I needed to see for class, then I thought, hey, I'm up here. I may as well look at the other exhibits! So I did. First, I looked at the Khubilai Khan, then made my way to the French impressionist room, then that's when I got lost. I honestly had no idea where I was in the museum and I didn't want to ask one of the guards what the quickest exit was...because that seemed silly. After 45 minutes (ish) I somehow found the exit, but it was actually a happy 45 minutes! I realized that I definitely want to go back to the Met one or more times before I leave in December.
the steps of the Met

I love color, so I was in awe when I saw this!

really cool installation art

talented art student.

No comments:

Post a Comment