Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Beijing


This past weekend, my friends and I finally made it to Beijing, the political, cultural and city capital of China. Beijing is the only city in the world that been both the political and cultural capital of a country for such a long period of time. The first day, we hit up the Temple of Heaven, Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden Palace. And for dinner, we went to Wangfujing st, which is an entire street full of exotic street food. I finally had the candied fruit on a stick (I don't know the Chinese name) and it was so good! I'm sad I didn't try it sooner. I also had a bite of my friend, Eunice's scorpions on a stick. It didn't take like much, but smelled like the back gate of ECNU. They also have starfish, bats, bigger scorpions and cocoon things on a stick. Saturday was solely devoted to the Great Wall. We went to the Mutianyu section, which is were the majority of the Western tourists go. There's a chairlift up to the Great Wall and you can take a toboggan down! Sunday, before we left, we quickly went to the Lama Temple and Summer Palace. I wish we could have spent more time in the Summer Palace because it is so vast! There's even a lake inside!
Temple of Heaven

天安门广场

Wangfujing St



No comments:

Post a Comment