Tuesday, March 15, 2011

adventures in Xi'an.

This past weekend, my friends and I traveled to Xi'an, capital of the Shaanxi province. Xi'an is a developing city of eight million people, so there's construction everywhere—the city is just building a subway! Xi'an is mainly known for its 3100 plus years of history, but I didn't know that they're also known for their dumplings! The dumplings are made into really intricate shapes, like birds, fish, corn on the cob, a globe, etc.

We saw the Big Goose Pagoda, biked on the Xi'an city wall, saw the Terra Cotta army, some Emperor's hot spring/bath house and went to Tang Paradise. This weekend, I also stayed in my first hostel. The Han Tang youth hostel is rated number one in Asia and seventh in the world, or something like that, so it was pretty nice. It's a really cheap and safe option for students, especially groups, but I don't think I'll be staying in hostels after this semester.
I had a lot of fun in Xi'an, and I would certainly recommend a visit if you're a history buff. It's definitely something you can do in a weekend, a day really if all you want to see is the soldiers, but Xi'an isn't a place that you need to visit multiple times.

No comments:

Post a Comment