Tuesday, November 8, 2011

mashed sweet potatoes

In case you haven't noticed, I've been in a sweet potato state of mind for about two weeks now! Tonight, I decided to venture one step further than fries and try sweet potato mash. I looked at several recipes, but I decided to go for the simplest recipe possible.
First, boil the sweet potatoes until they are soft. To check, use a nice to see if it cuts cleanly/easily through the potato. Instead of a timer, I used this as my indicator since my potatoes were quite large and irregularly shaped. I also used one Japanese sweet potato, and one white one. Both the insides are white, so it looks like regular mashed potatoes, but tastes sweet!
Once the potatoes are ready, peel them and cut them into smaller chunks.
I used butter, almond milk and salt to season. Some recipes also called for cinnamon and pepper.
And we're ready to beat! I used a hand mixer. Or you can use a potato masher thingy. or even a large fork if you're in a pinch.
Blend until you reach the desired consistency. I opted for smooth, with few chunks.
And you're done! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment