Thursday, June 24, 2010

Battery Park.

After my trip to the Highline last week, I was inspired to visit more of NYC's public parks. I surprisingly and conveniently had/have three days off in a row this week, so I decided to go to Battery Park. I took off on a blazing hot Tuesday afternoon, backpack, water bottle and New York magazine in tow to the southern tip of Manhattan—an area I'm not familiar with. Google maps told me the best route was to take Centre until it ran into Broadway, which would take me to the entrance of the park. Since I've never really been to the Financial District before, I didn't stray too far from said path. After a few pit stops and one slightly traumatizing experience in Century 21, I finally made it to Battery Park!
It's called Battery Park because the area used to be a fort and as NYC's harbor defense, was heavily fortified with the batteries of guns....hence Battery Park. The park was surprisingly big with plenty of greenery. I didn't walk around too, too much, but I did find a nice spot on the river to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment