Saturday, January 2, 2010

Pochanantas+Final Fantasy=Avatar

I'm super hyper right now, because I've been eating WAY too many inside out junior mints—they're so addictive! Anyway, I saw Avatar last night. It was super long, and the plot was a bit literal; like my friend Jordan said, "The title says it all." BUT, the color scheme was sooo pretty! I was IN LOVE with the night scenes and all the plants were glowing. breathtaking. Anyway, he wrote this review which I've included for your enjoyment. Don't worry if you don't understand what he's saying, even our high school teachers needed a dictionary while conversing with Jordan.

[google images]
Avatar: The Most Appropriate Title Ever
by Jordan Birnholtz
  The title says it all. James Cameron would like you to know that everything in this film is an avatar– a representation of something else.
  As a consequence, the characters are quantumnal as fuck. They are disposable, mathematically-singular beings, strewn across the beam of teleological attraction that is James Cameron's marvelously hard-core brain. They are their purpose; their meaning is indeed their function.
  I am perilously tempted to attack this film from a Hegelian angle, if not a Marxist one. Hitherto I won't seek to disrupt your sense of cause quite yet.
  I'm not going to do that for the simple fact that James Cameron has no interest in this burden. Postmodern directors deal in disrupting narrative and obfuscating cause. Avatar is a very abrupt fuck-you to these people and their art.
  Cameron will not spend $300,000,000 convincing you that reality can be defined by only a single logically-valid and unknowable proposition. He doesn't give a shit if you've read the Tractatus or Infinite Jest. He's going to take all of his dirty fucking corporate money and create an entire universe to reflect just how he feels about it. How does he feel about it?
Pretty poorly, it seems. Indeed, capitalist interests, especially armed ones, are very obviously the villains of this feature. The heroes are the tribal folks, tuned in to nature. Moreover, they're plugged in; I admire this component of the film. Cameron does try to offer a somewhat scientific account of their practices, without becoming too technical.
The conclusion of this epic smells a bit too much like Independence Day. I didn't like the way Cameron treated gender roles, and I thought the warrior-culture bit was a smidge patronizing and a pretty poor way to keep the plot intact.
  If you're looking to spend fifteen dollars cowering in fear of postmodernism and basking in a really glorious epic, swipe here. A few of the scenes are pretty uplifting. Don't pay attention to the dialogue.
  There is a lot here, and it's worth at least trying to appreciate.



Michigan is still boring and extremely cold for the most part. And now, the majority of my friends are going back to school next week, because they have weird school schedules, so I'm really not sure what I'm going to do for the next 12 days. hmmmm. I'm considering going up to University of Michigan next weekend to visit Jordan and my other friends who go to Michigan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment