Saturday, August 6, 2011

Intern diaries: week five

This week really flew by! Sunday night, I visited my friend Jeff in his new Murray Hill apartment! It was the first time I had seen him since Shanghai, almost two months ago! And he told me how hard it was to find a good apartment—tips I'm definitely going to remember for when I have to search!

Now I am the only full time intern in production (there is one girl who comes every morning for three hours), so I have to do all the work. The intern's long term task for this past week was to cut out these leaves and flowers to be used as patches on t-shirts and t-shirt dresses. My other tasks ranged from packing and checking orders, minor sewing (just sewing beads back on a few dresses), checking samples back in, and of course running errands to the contractors. This week, I was also given the opportunity to switch departments! So starting August 15, I'll be in the showroom! I'm really excited to go from production (making the clothes) to showroom, which is all about selling the final garment that all the departments have been working on.
cutting the day away

modeling headbands

and bow ties!

This week I also changed up my everyday hair and makeup. When I was home last weekend, I picked up liquid eyeliner, and I've been doing a cat eye ever since! I love it! And, since my hair is currently longer than usual (I'm waiting for the weather to cool down before I get my hair cut, a little counter intuitively) so I'm not used to styling long hair that can transition from the hot/humid outdoors to AC. I started braiding my hair at night so I wake up with great waves! And when I'm outside or on the train, I just re-braid my hair to reset the look!
My favorite outfit from this week was Wednesday's. It was actually inspired by a woman I saw on the train the day before. She was wearing a denim shirt and calf length black A line skirt with an Alexander Wang bag and great heels. I really liked the simplicity and ease of the outfit, but it was still very chic! So I did a blue shirt, black skirt and added my belt that I got from a village in Southern China! And my blingy bracelet from the Hell's Kitchen flea market.


thrifted bracelet and leather band my friend Kate got me in Italy!

On Thursday night, I went to Flushing for the first time! Flushing is exactly like being in China, more so than Chinatown because there are no tourists. I had yummy Malaysian food with some old friends! I also had a giant shaved ice, but I didn't get to take a picture. I definitely want to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment