Sunday, August 28, 2011

Intern diaries: week eight

This was a pretty exciting week, both at work and at home! Fashion week invites! An earthquake! Moving! Model fittings! Hurricane Irene!!
The week started off with addressing fashion week invited. A lot of them. My list included all the buyers from big department stores like Barneys, Bergdorfs, Saks and Bloomingdales to smaller boutiques like Opening Ceremony and boutiques in other states. The instructions were simple: channel my inner 5 year old's handwriting. Neat. Simple. Clean. Let me tell you, it's a lot harder than you'd think! Especially if you mostly use cursive, like me.

I also had to run a few errands this week. My most exciting one was to deliver a dress to Hudson Studios (all the way at 26th and 12th avenue), where they were going to photograph the dress that day. In fact, they had already started shooting by the time I got there! The model was so tall. it was quite exciting.
an empty studio I snapped a pic of

Tuesday night, I moved from TriBeCa/Chinatown to my dorm for the school year, conveniently located in Union Sq! My friend Johnny helped me, and everything went really, really well. It only took two hours! And two car trips! Moving in the nyc gives me terrible anxiety (my mum can attest to this), so it was such a relief that everything went well.

My favorite outfit this week was Friday's. I wore a thrifted H&M dress, but I only like the skirt portion, so I threw on a crisp white, sleeveless button up over it. And I added my favorite nude/glittery flats. Eunice said I looked ready for a summer picnic. This was only the second time I've worn that dress, because it is so girly, I'm never quite sure how to wear it. But I really liked the way I styled it. so summery!

My mum's favorite outfit was Wednesday's. I love the skirt (navy! polka dots! pleats!) but I don't wear it too often because it's a few sizes too small. I got it at a Uniqlo sample sale last year and it, uh, takes some effort to put on. to say the least.

On Tuesday, I wore my new pearl collar I got at the HK flea market. I have never received so many complements! A lady even stopped me on the street! I'm so glad I decided to buy it, after fending off another woman who was thinking about buying it.

Friday, the city was in a tizzy about Hurricane Irene. I wasn't too worried, until my boss from Louisiana got me worried. I bought water, granola bars, soup, nuts, dried fruit, beans—you name it, I probably bough it. It was pretty incredible to see entire shelves, and sometimes aisles, completely empty. And the lines! There was a block long line to get in to the Chelsea location of Trader Joe's!






Anyway, I've pretty much been holed up since Friday night (except for a quick-ish trip to Duane Reade yesterday morning to buy tape). The subways shut down at noon yesterday, and most stores are closed this weekend. Not much to do.
Snapshots from the week:

I really want this Muppets nail polish. so fun!

my necklace tree

I'm on the cover of the NYU in Shanghai handbook!!
this baby kept touching my nails and bracelets on th 

No comments:

Post a Comment